Is aquafaba a good egg substitute?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is aquafaba a good egg substitute?

I just learned that vegans and some vegetarians use aquafaba (the juice in chickpea cans) to make meringue, mousse and other desserts that require eggs. Is this better for you than eggs and how does it taste? I've never done it but I'm curious if it would be a worth-while alternative?

It's a great egg substitute. If you buy canned chickpeas you can always save the juice and try it yourself by following any of a dozen recipes online. That said, if you don't buy chickpeans in a can and you're not vegetarian/vegan, I wouldn't go out of my way to get it. Just use eggs and LOL.

Comment

This sounds gross! I mean, obviously it's a thing and it works and it probably tastes just fine, but the idea of using juice from beans is gross to me LOL, especially because the smell is awful when you open the can! Is it just chickpea juice that you can use of this, out of curiosity?

Comment

Originally posted by anne View Post
        This sounds gross! I mean, obviously it's a thing and it works and it probably tastes just fine, but the idea of using juice from beans is gross to me LOL, especially because the smell is awful when you open the can! Is it just chickpea juice that you can use of this, out of curiosity?
        LOL it does sound gross. But I guess it can't be that bad if it's popular, right? Does anyone know if it's actually good for you or if it's just a good substitute?

Comment

From what I've heard, once the sugar and vanilla is added, the "bean flavor" can't be detected but there may still be a bit of a bean smell after it's baked, particularly if the aquafaba comes from a can. I think it's honestly a great substitute for eggs for baking if you can't/or don't want to eat eggs or if you're the type of person who doesn't like to waste anything, but I don't think that it's something anyone should go out of their way to use as a substitute if they don't have to. The main reason is that it isn't any healthier for you. For 1 a dessert is a dessert. Desserts contain sugar and other things that would cancel out any real nutrients, and 2 it's the chickpeas that are good for you, not their juices. Also, I would like to add, if you're someone who reacts poorly to eating beans (e.g. gastrointestinal effects like bloating and gas) you might also want to avoid it.

Anne - I believe you can also use the bean juice that comes from white beans. That said, I think it's only white beans and chickpeas. I'd recommend researching it more if you want to use something other than aquafaba from chickpeas.
          Last edited by bruceH; 07-08-20, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bruceH View Post
            From what I've heard, once the sugar and vanilla is added, the "bean flavor" can't be detected but there may still be a bit of a bean smell after it's baked, particularly if the aquafaba comes from a can. I think it's honestly a great substitute for eggs for baking if you can't/or don't want to eat eggs or if you're the type of person who doesn't like to waste anything, but I don't think that it's something anyone should go out of their way to use as a substitute if they don't have to. The main reason is that it isn't any healthier for you. For 1 a dessert is a dessert. Desserts contain sugar and other things that would cancel out any real nutrients, and 2 it's the chickpeas that are good for you, not their juices. Also, I would like to add, if you're someone who reacts poorly to eating beans (e.g. gastrointestinal effects like bloating and gas) you might also want to avoid it.

Anne - I believe you can also use the bean juice that comes from white beans. That said, I think it's only white beans and chickpeas. I'd recommend researching it more if you want to use something other than aquafaba from chickpeas.
            That's really interesting. Thank for sharing all this. I had never heard of aquafaba, but now that I do know about it, I can safely say it's not for me. Definitely a great thing for vegan/vegetarian and lactose intolerant folks though :D

Comment

Why is it only white beans and chickpeas? And is the liquid only produced when they are in a can, or can you make if you rehydrate dry beans, too?

Comment

Weight Loss Products

Collapse

Working...
              X